NH jockey, the job where you get more get-well cards than birthday cards: latest news on injured jocks
It’s estimated that National Hunt jockeys take a tumble, on average, once every ten rides. Thankfully, most injuries are not serious but Peter Toole’s horrible fall at Aintree last week was the first of four pretty serious ones.
Here’s the latest news on Peter, Richard Hawkins, Wayne Hutchinson and Tom Scudamore.
Peter remains stable in hospital. The 22-year-old suffered bleeding on the right side of his brain when Classic Fly fell at the first fence during the Maghull Novices’ Chase and is currently in the Walton Centre for Neurology and Neurosurgery.
A CT scan taken earlier this week came back negative and he was found to have movement in his legs when briefly woken from an induced coma on Monday night.
Peter is attached to Charlie Mann’s yard in Lambourn and the trainer said on Wednesday afternoon: “There is no more news and as far as I know he is still under.
“There will be no more news until he comes out of that, but he’s stable.”
A statement from the Injured Jockeys’ Fund added: “Peter Toole remains in a critical but stable position at the Walton Centre.
“His parents have been reassured that there has been no deterioration in his condition”
Doctors have decided to wait until Thursday morning to bring round amateur jockey Richard following his fall at Taunton on Tuesday.
Richard lost consciousness when parting company with Tiger Dream in a selling handicap hurdle at Taunton and remains under sedation in nearby Musgrove Park Hospital. Chris Down, trainer of Tiger Dream and Richard’s great uncle, said: “They reduced the sedation this morning and he started to come round, but they thought it would be better to wait until the morning.
“Everything is going as expected at the moment, so we’ll keep our fingers crossed.”
A statement from the Injured Jockeys’ Fund added: “Following his fall at Taunton Richard Hawkins remains in the Musgrove Park
Hospital where he has been re-sedated. No change in his condition is anticipated in the next 24 hours”.
Tom faces three to four months out of the saddle after a scan on his dislocated shoulder revealed that he will need surgery.
Scudamore sustained a heavy fall from The Giant Bolster in the John Smith’s Mildmay Novices Chase, at Aintree last Thursday. The jockey is due to have surgery on his shoulder on Monday following the results of Wednesday’s scans.
David Pipe’s stable jockey said: “I’ve seen the specialist and had some scans and they’ve revealed better than first thought, but I will still need keyhole surgery. I’m told I’ll probably be out for three to four months, so I won’t be back until next season.
Tom, who has ridden a total of 63 winners this season, 10 less than last year’s tally, was upbeat despite the injury.
“Obviously I’m disappointed,” he said. “But I’m in good hands and I will focus on having the right programme and working hard during my rehab.”
And Tom passed on his best wishes to Peter Toole “My injury is nothing compared to his and it just shows you how lucky you are, my thoughts are with Peter and his family.”
Wayne was on Wednesday released from the Queen’s Medical Centre in Nottingham where he’d been admitted earlier in the day following a fall on Double Pride in the opener at Southwell.
Wayne’s agent Chris Broad said on Wednesday evening: “We’ve spoken with Wayne’s wife Amy. I’m told he’s been released from hospital with a neck brace. The x-rays came through clear although he is extremely sore and bruised. I would imagine he’ll be heading home and will get further assessment on Thursday.”
Get well soon gentlemen.