Racecards and betting for Thursday’s two feature races at Aintree.
There is tremendous racing on the opening day, Liverpool Day, Thursday, April 7, with the first race, the £100,00 Grade One BGC Partners Liverpool Hurdle, having attracted a superb field of 11.
Big Buck’s, the champion staying hurdler trained by Paul Nicholls and ridden by Ruby Walsh, goes for his third successive victory in the extended three-mile race. He has been made the 8/15 favourite by Aintree’s official betting partner totesport.
Grands Crus (7/2), the David Pipe-trained runner-up to Big Buck’s in the Ladbrokes World Hurdle at last month’s Cheltenham Festival, reopposes on Thursday, while Carlito Brigante (10/1), successful at that festival in the Grade Three Coral Cup Handicap Hurdle, steps up in class.
The £150,000 totesport Bowl has attracted the recent totesport Cheltenham Gold Cup runner-up Denman who will be ridden by Paul Nicholls’ stable jockey Ruby Walsh for the first time since November, 2009.
Denman has been installed as the 10/11 favourite for the totesport Bowl with the sponsors after a small but select field of six was declared for the feature on Liverpool Day.
The Gold Cup runner-up is the only horse from that race to be declared for the three mile, one furlong event after Nicky Henderson decided to rough off Long Run for the season following his victory at Cheltenham.
However, Henderson is responsible for the second favourite in the shape of 5/1 shot Punchestowns, who will be looking for back-to-back victories following his victory at Kempton last time out, and the consistent mare Carole’s Legacy (7/1).
“Denman ran an absolute blinder in the Gold Cup and his supporters will be hoping that his return to Aintree can provide a happier ending than when he fell in the totesport Bowl two years ago,” said totesport spokesman George Primarolo.
2pm £100,000 BGC PARTNERS LIVERPOOL HURDLE (GRADE ONE) 3m 110yds
1) 1-1111 Big Buck’s (FR) 8-11-07 Paul Nicholls Ruby Walsh
2) -1021 Carlito Brigante (IRE) 5-11-07z Gordon Elliott (IRE) Davy Russell
3) -1112 Grands Crus (FR) 6-11-07z David Pipe Tom Scudamore
4) FF400 Gwanako (FR) 8-11-07 Paul Nicholls Daryl Jacob
5) -2144 Karabak (FR) 8-11-07b Alan King Tony McCoy
6) 21-40 Khyber Kim 9-11-07 Nigel Twiston-Davies Paddy Brennan
7) 40214 Knockara Beau (IRE) 8-11-07 George Charlton Jan Faltejsek
8) 1P040 Markington 8-11-07b Peter Bowen Tom O’Brien
9) 532-0 Possol (FR) 8-11-07 Henry Daly Richard Johnson
10) /1P-8 Sentry Duty (FR) 9-11-07 Nicky Henderson Barry Geraghty
11) 55442 Won In The Dark (IRE) 7-11-07 Sabrina Harty (IRE) Andrew Lynch
b = BLINKERS
z = TONGUE STRAP
BGC Partners Liverpool Hurdle – totesport bet: 8/15 Big Buck’s, 7/2 Grands Crus, 10 Carlito Brigante, 16 Khyber Kim, 18 Karabak, 20 Sentry Duty, 33 Knockara Beau, 50 Possol, 66 Won In The Dark, 100 Gwanako, 200 Markington.
A fifth the odds 1-2-3
3:05pm £150,000 TOTESPORT BOWL CSE (Grade 1) 3m 1f Mildmay Course
1) 6-3U3 Deep Purple 10-11-07 Evan Williams Paul Moloney
2) 24-32 Denman (IRE) 11-11-07 Paul Nicholls Ruby Walsh
3) U915F Follow The Plan (IRE) 8-11-07 Oliver McKieman (IRE) Tom Doyle
4) -1443 Nacarat (FR) 10-11-07z Tom George Paddy Brennan
5) 5-231 Punchestowns (FR) 8-11-07 Nicky Henderson Barry Geraghty
6) -1222 Carole’s Legacy 7-11-00 Nicky Henderson Tony McCoy
z = TONGUE STRAP
totesport Bowl – sponsors bet: 10/11 Denman, 5 Punchestowns, 11/2 Nacarat, 7 Carole’s Legacy, 8 Deep Purple, 25 Follow The Plan.
a quarter the odds